The world is full of labels, some good, some bad; some positive, some negative; some constructive, some destructive.
If you’re anything like me, you have been called all sort of things…but we won’t get in to the specifics!
Having others label us can be good and, at times, tough as well. The problems comes when we let those labels stick, or worse, when we start labeling ourselves in negative ways.
Negative perceptions of ourselves can be crippling, they become mental blocks that can prevent us from ever reaching our full potential.
Whenever you say to yourself, “I can’t do this…I don’t know how…I don’t have enough…I can’t seem to learn… I am so stupid…I am so poor…I am so scare…I am ugly, I am so…” You fill in the blank.
This negative self-talk is destructive and crippling. And, it has been building over time.
Let’s change that, shall we? For the next 30 days (to start), we’re going to do something totally to that negative self talk:
- Identify you top 3 negative self talks, and write them down.
- Take that list and shred it to pieces and discard it, or burn it.
- On three sticky note, write down a positive and opposite affirmation to the negative ones you have identified. “I am strong, I am brilliant, I am growing…”
- Post these sticky notes on the following three places: by your bed, on the bathroom mirror, and behind your main home door.
- Read it aloud every change you get.
- On your social media pages, post things that support your new affirmation
- Avoid people and places that do not support your new affirmations.
Please note, this is something you may have to do multiple times before it sticks. But, trust me, it will stick, and pretty soon you will be thinking, believing and acting your new thoughts.