“Acknowledging the good that you already have in your life is the foundation for all abundance.” Eckhart Tolle
The world is a loud, bold, and intense. Because this is the case, it is so easy to get caught up in the day-to-day struggles of life, and to lose perspective of the important things in our lives. Has this ever happened to you? Sadly, it has happened to me.
As a 25 year-old, father of four little ones, I decided that, in order to give them a better life, I had to go back to school. Once I did, I never stopped. A bachelors, two masters, and a doctorate degree later, my little ones were no longer little; they had grown up. This was very sobering. Although I made it an effort to be in their lives, and never missed any of their activities, it often felt like I was having an out-of-body experience, almost like I was in a fog.
I am the first one to “preach” the importance of reaching for the stars, to go for one’s goals, to work hard in order to make one’s dreams a reality. However, it is also important to be thankful for what we already have, especially, our loved ones, because one day they are here, and another, they could be gone. Or, like in my case, one day, your children are babies, and the next day, they are not.
In her article, The Top 10 Habits of Grateful People…Even in Tough Time, Judy Belmont says the following:
- Grateful people don’t expect that life is going to give them everything they deserve.
- They do not have preconditions to their happiness.
- People who are grateful have realized that you can not have the rainbow without the rain.
- Grateful people have hope.
- Those who are steeped in bitterness and grudges have no space in their heart to be grateful.
- People who are grateful know that a grateful attitude takes work.
- Grateful people have healthy thinking habits.
- Grateful people are flexible in their thinking.
- People who love to learn tend to be grateful.
- Grateful people define their self worth by their determination and their dreams, not their regrets and disappointments.
I encourage you to read her the entire article!